The philosophy of Karma Yoga is exposed in the Bhagavad Gita by Lord Krishna to Arjuna. In a very simple way we may say that it tells you that we humans should do our part, our duty, with the best of our capacity and leave the rest to God, to a Higher Reality. A simple statement! Now this statement should be understood thoroughly well by us. This philosophy talks about work. How any action should be done in life.
There are 4 or 5 points which a person should remember while doing action:
- First, doing the action to the best of your capacity; analyze it and know that everybody has different capacities and according to one person what is best, may not be best according to somebody else. You have to play your part well. So naturally, when you have done your best, others may appreciate or may not appreciate. Now while doing work, what state of mind should you have?
- Here is the second point. If you have decided to work, then work happily. Happiness has to come. Work joyfully! Be creative in your work! Never allow laziness and boredom to overcome you. Be totally enthusiastic and joyful and do the job.
- Third point, when you are working, work with total concentration, total integration, your body, your mind, your emotions, your intellect, everything should be present in that work. This is called as an integrated personality.
- Fourth, see that you are remaining in the present while working. You have to be in the present, not in the past, not in the future. The past gives you experiences, and from these experiences you have learned something so that, in the present, you can do things in a better way. You have learnt and so, forget the past!
- The fifth point, which is the most important, is developing faith, leaving the rest to God. So what does this mean, leaving the rest to God? That as far as the result is concerned, you are not supposed to have a specific opinion about it. You are not supposed to demand a particular result. You are supposed to jus accept whatever result comes. Have faith that the particular result which has come will do good to you because God knows more than you; have complete faith in that. That is what is meant, by leaving the rest to God!
So this is basically the Karma Yoga Philosophy talked about in a very practical way in the Bhagavad Gita.